It’s been just over a week since I completed my MA. How am I doing?
Well, after spending so much time revising and polishing my dissertation, I have had to proceed into unchartered territory: I have had to start making stuff up again. I have a rough plan for my novel so I know where I should be heading. Even so, making stuff up is hard. It’s also difficult getting used to the idea that this new stuff won’t benefit from any imminent feedback. No workshops. No tutorials to help me out. What once seemed like a horror – having others scrutinize my work in progress – now seems like a luxury as I face the remaining fifty thousand words on my own.
I have set myself a target of five thousand words a week. It’s a tough enough target to keep me working and focused, but not completely unrealistic. The first week I made it… just.
I wanted to find a new title for the novel as the working title I had wasn’t working for me. I’m really rubbish at titles. So I decided to trawl through all my #sentencesaday on Twitter to see if a little gem lay amongst them. It didn’t. Not only that, but I made the shocking discovery that about eighty percent of my choice sentences had actually been hacked from the final draft of my dissertation.
So this week I’ve learnt three things:
- Making the adjustment to working alone is hard.
- Having a target helps.
- Most of what I write is crap.
Oh, and one more thing. I learnt that when going to an exercise class for the first time in months, if I’m not careful I will end up with muscles so tender and swollen I can’t physically get a mug of tea to my mouth or a cork out of a bottle of wine. Although I can still type. Lucky me.